Leytham Looks to Continue Stranglehold on Bombers Division with Another Triumph
IRVINGTON, Ala. (April 17, 2012) – The 2014 season could not have started any better for Mobile, Alabama’s BJ Leytham. Winning all three of the Bomber division races so far this year at Mobile International Speedway, Leytham appears to be the man to beat for the championship.
“We’re just hungry,” said Leytham on Thursday. “I was just taken aback at three (wins). We got outrun last year and this year, we really wanted to win some races and try for a championship.”
Despite the stars appearing to be aligned for him last week, Leytham dealt with late-race adversity in a big way- and came out looking like a genius.
After experiencing issues with his carburetor on a restart with just a hand-full of laps left, the Theodore High School graduate found himself in the third position. However; after a brilliant display of his talent, he made his way to the front just in time to take the checkered flag and secure another win.
“The car really didn’t run that great all night,” said Leytham about his third win of the season. “We were just lucky.”
After netting a perfect average in the season’s first three events, Leytham leads the division’s point standings by 20 over second-place driver, Collin Kraft and 44 over third-place Jerry Goff, Jr.
When the bombers return to action on Saturday, April 26th, Leytham, a native of Irvington, will certainly have a target on his back, and he couldn’t agree more.
“Absolutely,” replied Leytham. “I would say our teammate, Geno (Denmark) wants it bad. There are four or five cars that can win it- they just need that little extra step and they’re trying. They’re coming for us.”
The action at Alabama’s fastest Half-mile continues on Saturday, April 26, with 125-lap feature for the Southern Super Series super late models as well as local racing from the Modified, Super Stock, Sportsman and Bombers.
About Mobile International Speedway: Mobile International Speedway is the longest continuously operating sports facility in Mobile County. It was built in 1964 and has presented weekly motorsports events every year since then. As an indication of increasing community acceptance and enthusiasm, both the Mobile Bay Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Mobile Sports Authority became MIS partners beginning in 2013.
Family attendance and participation have been the keys to the track’s continued success. Kids 5 and under are always admitted free to the grandstands. Family nights and family-oriented shows have always been staples of the annual MIS schedules. Over 30,000 people will attend the 14 scheduled MIS events in 2014.